Monday, November 22, 2010

All a-buzz for my fellow bees!

Having been a waiting lady, pre-occupied with pre-planning, I've logged a lot of hours over the past 6 months or so, perusing the immense, extensive, and highly detailed amount of wedding planning information on the internet.

I'd known about The Knot for quite some time, pretty much ever since my first childhood friend got married around 6 years ago.  I'd visit there occasionally over the years, just for fun, or when I needed to consult the gift registries of various friends, but I never really spent a lot of time there.  The information and pictures seemed to remain pretty much the same over time.  I needed more to sate my wedding appetite!

As a total newbie, I figured there must be some good wedding blogs out there.  Simple google searches led me to Green Wedding Shoes and Style Me Pretty among many others.  Just by chance, I clicked on a link to Weddingbee and there I found not only an imformative and fun blog full of posts from all sorts of women, but also an incredibly active message board community.  Jackpot!

I'm a self-proclaimed internet junkie, and I love getting involved in online forums.  This awesome "hive" of Bees seemed like a great place to get involved.  As I lurked for a while at first, I saw evidence of the community of posters, sharing ideas and thoughts, helping each other through hard decisions and celebrating with each other.  I figured I would wait to register an account until I was "officially" planning a wedding...no one would take me seriously as a gal without a ring.  What could I possibly add to the community without being engaged and planning?

It was there that I was very wrong.  Weddingbee has a place just for girls like me - it's their Waiting board.  A location specifically designed for women who aren't engaged yet, but have caught the wedding bug, or are maybe just looking for a little support.  There's a great deal of anxiety, self-doubt, and frustration that comes with this territory, and the Waiting board is a great antidote to the insanity.  I'd grown embarrassed about bitching and whining to my close friends and family.  They wanted me to shut up about it, I wanted to shut up about it, but the word vomit just wouldn't stop.  The Waiting board has given me, and many other women a place to come, and under the veil of internet anonymity spill their guts and vent. 

Every weekend, I look forward to seeing if any of my fellow Waitng Bees get engaged.  I smile at their romantic proposal stories, and even tear up from time to time.  I feel genuinely happy when these strangers that I have never and probably will never meet finally get to say they are engaged to the man of their dreams.

Most of all, it's just nice to know that I'm not crazy - that other women feel this way too.  It's not something society really "accepts" per se, so I am very thankful to know that I have a place to go that helps to ease my waiting blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment